CALL FOR APPLICATION (25 POST)
JOB TITLE: WATETEZI TV REGIONAL REPORTERS
ORGANIZATION: TANZANIA HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS COALITION (THRDC)
DUTY STATION: TANZANIA MAINLAND AND ZANZIBAR REGIONS
CLOSING DATE: 30th NOVEMBER,2022
The Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition (THRDC) is a membership Organization in Tanzania, with more than 250 organizational members, promoting and defending human rights across 14 human rights thematic areas. THRDC’s long-term goal is to see a free and secured working environment for human rights defenders in Tanzania, and to ensure HRDs in our country can carry out their essential work free from harm and repression, in accordance with the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders of 1998.
The Coalition is currently preparing to start implementing its five years Strategic Plan 2023-2027 which has its focus in promoting and protecting the HRDs in rights in Tanzania including reclaiming their civic space. To realize this goal among other interventions THRDC has capitalized on addressing and publicizing programs and situations that are related to human rights and the specific work done by Human Rights Defenders under the advocacy department. Therefore, THRDC is looking for a competent, ambitious, energetic, self-motivated and result oriented candidate to support this goal under Watetezi TV.
WATETEZI TV, is a non-profit online YouTube platform established in June 2018 by the Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition (THRDC) to air programs related to human rights and the specific work done by Human Rights Defenders.
Watetezi TV as online media operates on YouTube (WATETEZI TV), Instagram, Facebook and twitter with user name @WateteziTv. Also, it has a website https://watetezi.co.tz to air and share human rights contents online.
THRDC is looking for young, energetic, and committed individuals for the post of Watetezi TV reporters from various regions of Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar. A qualified individual required to effectively cover stories, report human rights violation and work of human rights defenders under THRDC’s Advocacy department.
· Degree or Diploma in Journalism and Mass communication, advanced degree in a related field is an added advantage
· Human rights specialization
· Gender Training skills
· Attended several Human rights training
· Knowledge on different human right thematic areas including Human Rights Defenders and People with Disabilities.
2.0 JOB SKILL SPECIFICATIONS
2.1 Key competencies
· Formal training in relevant fields including administration, public relations, and mass communication,
· A minimum of 1-year professional experience, ideally with some experience with nonprofits or academic organizations
· Excellent communication skills, particularly when dealing with an international, multilingual audience
· Ability to handle multiple projects under time and resource pressure
· Comprehensive knowledge of information technology operations and expertise in the field of IT, public relations, and release of information for publication
· Knowledge of the latest advances in effective use of digital and social media for effective corporate communication, including (ideally) online communities, search engine optimization and other digital marketing tools
· Develop and maintain strategic networks of people and institutions dealing with the promotion of human rights and disseminate related news and information to the needy.
· Develop task orders, and manage part-time, task-specific consultants depending on circumstances and needs with a knowledge and understanding of various key publics and networks to be engaged, multilingual skills is an added advantage.
· Have a wide knowledge in the field of human rights and human rights defenders
· Should be creative, resourceful, capable of making mature and independent decisions
· Own and experienced in managing various social media platforms
· Committed to journalism and public service reporting
· Willing to work late hours and in remote areas
2.2 Personal attributes
· Articulate activist
· Good Writer
· Possess a good written and fluent in English
· Tolerant of diversity
· Active in social media
· Fluent in English and Swahili
· Principled but flexible
· Security conscious
2.3 Experience requirements
· 1 year relevant working experience in the field of human rights reporting
· Active in social media
· Experience in coordinating fellow journalist
· Experience in human rights monitoring, documentation, and reporting.
· Knowledge of Regional human rights mechanisms.
· Experience with UN and regional protection mechanisms on human rights defenders.
· Knowledgeable in security management training.
3.0 HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 30th November 2022 (00:00 AM, East African Time). The application should contain;
a. Cover letter
b. A detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
c. Copy of academic certificates
Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition is a free and fair entity, and therefore encourages all qualified individuals to apply for this position regardless of their gender, race or any other differences.